Governor Silvestri 2020-03-20
Note that it’s been re-ordered and some repetition collapsed.
Airlines, Visas and International Travel
- Planes have to come empty and can not stay overnight
- Information will be on the airlines websites. Be on chats and keep track.
- Had 7 flights a day when had lots of tourism, so can handle a lot if the airlines send multiple planes to evacuate.
- See announcements on major airline websites
- Note this is airline based, not citizenship based. Tickets on the airlines are good, regardless of final destination if you have an existing reservation.
- Discussion with airlines last night
- Airlines have confirmed they’re coming, just a matter of when.
- Departures will be from SAP (San Pedro Sula) and RTB (Roatan)
- Don’t know how many and when yet though
- American, Delta and United.
- Not Saturday, we will hear in the next couple of days
- Tickets that are confirmed for tomorrow will not fly at this time
- Honduras doesn’t have the capability to fly people out
- Westjet confirmed for Sunday
- Bringing a donation of equipment from Mr Blaine in Canada
- Not sure, no communication with UK government.
- If you have a ticket on one of the scheduled flights, then yes.
- One of the ways we convinced the airlines was by collecting and sending confirmation codes for existing tickets.
- Only two pieces of information required: Confirmation code and current location.
- All purchased tickets for a flight that’s running are good
- Not sure if you will have to change your flight or the airline will do it for you.
- Not talking about repatriation for US citizens. They’re just coming for
- Canadian citizens flight on Monday
- Do not change existing tickets, just wait for confirmations.
Will the airport stay open?
- As long as there are flights, operations will be open.
- How long airports will stay open is not on the Honduran authorities.
- President of USA is asking everyone to come home. More likely US will close border than Honduras restricting people leaving.
Flight from mainland to rejoin family?
- No, sorry, no inbound flights.
- If want to could both go to USA and rejoin there
Flights from SAP?
- Ticket will be cancelled.
- Recommend don’t buy more flights, wait on announcements.
Getting to the planes when they arrive?
- Mostly in Roatan, some on mainland and Utila. Reserved seats on flights going through mainland
- Only place we’ll need logistics is Utila
- Will likely move via Utila Dream
- Don’t want anyone from other islands to enter Roatan to keep quarantine
- No problem while it’s during the red alert
- If you were in penalty, will have a chance to pay and leave
Leaving priorites, can those without tickets get on flights going out?
- People who have tickets will go first
- Medical issues and other priority passengers will go first
Can Avianca book on other airlines?
- Lower priorty than existing tickets though
- Currently with Europeans
- Will likely make a group for them soon as there’s a lot
Had a flight to USA through SAP from Utila, how to proceed if no transport?
- Major airlines will transfer to another location, somewhere closer
- Borders are closed, not sure how they’re affected
- Note from Paul: Citizens are still permitted into Canada
Private charters (including charter to Miami (MIA))?
- Priority is to get US airlines here
- Hard to do other things as this takes a lot of time
- Generally not involved with private charters
- Don’t see any charters in next 3-4 days, they’re more complicated to ensure that standards are being met.
- They haven’t responded yet
Canadians are going, why not the USA?
- When closed down, Canadian consulate called and told Bay Islands that they’d already talked to airlines and the airlines would come without people. It was very smooth.
- On Monday, lots of people at airport from United, plane arrived without passengers and it got to go back. 179 passengers.
- Mainly depends on airlines respecting rules to come in empty.
- We don’t have the facilities/infrastructure to deal with COVID-19 so we need to be strict about it.
Will immigration be open next week?
- Send a message, it depends on what you need
- If because of red alert, no fee.
- If overstay from before 15th, then you’ll have to pay
WhatsApp groups for flights?
- Multiple United chats,
- United most likely to come quickest and likely to bring multiple plans as have lots of passengers here.
Commercial flights next Saturday?
- Way too far, can’t tell
- Not a lot, send them emails to ask them to come
- Run via Tegucigalpa, the governor is just a bridge
- Please wait patiently
Curfew and Martial Law
NB: The governor found out about martial law at the end of the transmission, it overrides other comments until we resort back to curfew.
Martial law on a nation level?
- New press release. We are now in martial law.
- All of Honduras 18:00 today until the 03:00 on the 29th.
- Not sure how this will change the flights, will keep people posted.
- This means we have to be in our homes, there will be specific times when we will be permitted to leave for specific activities.
- Definition of curfew: after 20:00 you can’t be outside home
- Definition of martial law: Must stay in home permantently except for the
small time frame each day to do restricted activities.
- Likely because people haven’t been following instructions
Marshall law, food delivery?
- No food delivery
- Delivery services in general highly limited
Private security with martial law?
- Will check, think they’re exempt
Different rules between islands?
- All supposed to be the same
- 06:00 - 20:00 can only be outside for
- Buying food and drinks
- Going to doctor
- Going to get medicine
- Getting fuel or gas
- Going to the bank
- NB: This was for curfew, we are now under martial law so this has changed
NB: the following 6 items are probably obsoleted by martial law
Extending 14 day lockdown?
- Hopefully continue with zero cases of COVID-19, transmission scrambles
Curfew at West End?
- Currently 7 days, could be extended
- Too early to tell if it’ll be extended
7 or 14 days?
- Mainland is 7
- All travel to islands prohibited for 14 days
West End Pharmacy is open?
- It’s supposed to be open
Utila 24/7 curfew unless going to supermarket
- Correct, 06:00-20:00 and only necessities
If any of the pending COVID-19 tests come back positive, what will happen?
- Will put us into marshall law
Taxis and other Local Travel
Is it legal to ride taxi with number covered for own errands?
- It’s ok, trying to note that it is not a colectivo (picking up people along the way)
- Max 2 people
How can multiple people travel in a car, if there’s a limit of 2?
- Head of household should go and do purchasing
- Urge that just one member of family do all outside chores
Taxi’s to airport?
- Definitely approved
How do multiple people from same hotel get to airport?
- Fine going to airport
- Need to be limited for those staying on island
COVID-19 test results:
- 8 test results sent, waiting on 3
- Sending more tomorrow
Testing and suspicious cases, how does that affect Utila to Roatan?
- 4 tests in Utila, 3 negative, 1 pending
Cases on mainland?
Information about employees of businesses which had to cease operations?
- Legislation about this
- Authorities are asking to not let your employees go, that would be a huge problem
- Understand it’s hard when you don’t have sales, the governors companies are keeping people as long as possible.
- Crime will skyrocket if businesses lay people off, so please don’t
- Media Webster (sp?)
- Council woman on the Roatan mayor’s office setting up a food bank
- Please help her get food
Police harassing grocery store owners for selling alcohol
- Alcohol sales are allowed, but must be taken home.
- Just ensure no gatherings and no drinking away from home.
- May be slowed down due to extra procedures, but still working
Additional patrols to prevent boats coming in?
- Yes, still coming from mainland
Resorts closed and can guests be moved so workers can protect themselves?
- Can be analysed
- Agree that it’s a priority
- Most resorts are closed, but closing and moving to private housing is where things are heading
- Mr Keith Will run radio to keep people entertained
- Mr Dean made a website
Have Reco and Max waive payments, can’t pay bills without income?
- Difficult, both are analysing situation, will let know when we have more info
Paying leases if we’ve closed operations?
- Legal, sorry can’t answer
- Definitely cancelled
- Will reschedule and let people know
Insulin for diabetes?
- Get in contact and we’ll connect you to the right people
Getting to La Ceiba for treatment after a severe accident?
- Can take a private plane or boat
- Will not be able to return until after the quarantine is over as will have been exposed
- Let us know, from there we can make decisions and help
Pregnatant ladies from Utila:
- No hospital in Utila, so coordinating better medical attention for them
Numbers for immigration for number of people on island with visas?
- Don’t want to create panic by releasing numbers. It would also damage the relationship between the Honduran governement and the US government & the airlines.
- Everyone working together to get people home, don’t want to fracture that relationship