Governor Silvestri 2020-03-28
Skip to 31 minutes to get to mostly English (there’s some English spread throughout the Spanish part too).
Note that it’s been re-ordered and some repetition collapsed.
- Supposed to expire Sunday, guarantee it will be extended both at the federal and local levels.
- Working with mayors to work out exactly what will be done
- Share decision on the Sunday transmission
- Will create exceptions for local business to open as long as we have zero COVID-19 cases.
- Things will change very rapidly if there’s any positive case
Can only be out for:
- Catching a flight
- Supermarkets are in charge of decontaminating
- People are also decontaminating their own groceries
Quarantine Centres and Transfer to Islands:
- Setup in San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa
- Sunday is first flights in to test this concept
- There was a tent destined to Roatan, given logistics it was deployed in San Pedro Sula, but will include the islanders. After a 14 day quarantine they will be able to be reintroduced to the population.
- Incredibly bad day worldwide, 12,000 new cases confirmed in the USA alone
- Over 100 cases in Honduras, 3 dead can read more on http://covid19honduras.org
- Bay Island still has zero cases. 16 tests done, 6 pending
- Will be posted on the governors Facebook page as soon as available, so you don’t have to wait for the daily update.
- Corte, Colon and Tegucigalpa numbers are all going up rapidly
- Typically takes 24 hours to turn around tests
- Will look into medication, hadn’t heard of it before
- About 100 physicians coming to Honduras from Cuba, we won’t get any of them into the bay islands as long as we don’t have COVID-19.
- Attempting to purchase rapid tests
- For latest ones, we’re waiting on them getting to market
Flights and Travel
Air Transat (Canada):
- Scheduled for Monday
- Canadian citizens only
- Message the governors team for more information
- TO get on the flight, need to register with a Canadian service
United (USA and world wide connections):
- Two flights today, 12:40 and 14:40
- 50 from Utila!
- Steve, the Canadian warden, has done a fantastic job assisting people out
- Last flight scheduled for Tuesday
- There have been empty seats for the last couple of days, feel free to come by and get on standby
- Still not permitted, know it’s tough, trying as hard as possible to get people home soon but we can’t risk the islands getting infected.
- Know how many people need assistance now, at the planning stage.
- If you need assistance, please fill in this form
Utila to San Pedro Sula for flight to Europe:
- Go to the mayors office to get the authorisation to fly
- Reach out to German consulate, who can help you as well
- Royal Caribbean is suspending for at least another 30 days, so earliest would be May.
- Ensure you have:
- Place to live for at least 30 days
- If you have all of this, welcome to stay. Otherwise they recommend you leave.
- Only planes, no boats.
- Going to need a lot of help
- Considered alternatives but came to the conclusion that cash donations were the best.
- Make It Count Foundation is the
- Means that for US tax filing, it’s tax deductible
- Use the funds to buy food, medical equipment, etc
- Expect it to cover the islands for at least 30-60 days, maybe longer, depending on how long it takes to get airlines and cruise ships returning to the islands.
- Will share details of how the money is spent on the COVID-19 page
- Will have a commission to control the spending of funds.
- Everything will be shared amongst all the islands
- Will honour requests to donate to a specific place (e.g. specific islands)
- Will need local funds to be able to make decisions, it’s going to get tough financially as Honduras has been hit hard.
- Looked at Go Fund Me, but they take a cut and are difficult to work with
- Still seeing people going to the beach, please protect yourself and your neighbours by staying home
- People who we’re trying to protect are those with compromised immune systems and the elderly.
Protecting Island Borders:
- Mayor Jerry Hynds is offering a HNL 10,000 reward to anyone who provides verifiable information of any vessel attempting to approach our shores without authorisation.
- If find canoes with illegal people (usually from Colon), will sink it to protect the islands
- Report suspect boats to:
- Marina Mercante +504-9970-5310
- Police Chief: +504-9440-0320
- Navy: +504-3249-8446
- Starting tomorrow on the Governors Facebook Page, there will be a series going through the team members helping out
- They should be shut down for now. Lots of people in a small place so very dangerous.
Tropic Consolidators and Fedex:
- Governor Dino will follow up on shipments
- Part of the islands, will be part of the federal aid package
- This is ongoing, has not stopped. Will follow up with specific complaint.
Eldon’s and other Supermarkets:
- Order ahead of time
- One person in the car
- Don’t leave the vehicle, groceries will be handed to you
Garifuna Settlement Day Festival
- Postponed until islands not at risk
- Tentative date is last week of July
Being Stopped Unnecessarily
- If you believe it’s unnecessary, please report the name of the police officer
- Talk to local authorities about local police.
- Please contact Mayors office