Governor Silvestri 2020-04-07
The is a transcript of the English transmission. There is also a Spanish transmission which I do not translate.
Note that it’s been re-ordered and some repetition collapsed.
- Current total: USD 120,716; HNL 2,987,986
- 3 purposes:
- Medical Equipment
- Currently fundraising and working out how best to use the funds
- Expect it to be a long term problem, at least 60 days, so planning to spread it out.
- If your community hasn’t got food, please let the governors team know and they’ll work out how to get you help.
- Have to prove that you’re in this situation due to the loss of tourism
- USD 9,000 in food was distributed recently
Reminder: It only takes one case to wipe out an island.
- Currently scheduled to lift on the 12th of April. This could change
- Trying to get exceptions for the Bay Islands, but it’s difficult
It only takes one positive person on an island to create a problem
- 23 negative
- 2 pending
Protocol for those suspected of having COVID-19:
- They are screened and then tested depending on the screening questions.
- Tests are sent to Tegucigalpa to process, which takes time.
- Usually freighted by the air force, otherwise the mayor flies them, but both are very busy, so sometimes there’s some delay
- New lab in San Pedro Sula, which is cheaper and closer for analysing the longer tests
Rapid response test kits:
- Large number were donated to Honduras yesterday
- Looking at ways to get more tests with the donations raised
- These are critical to the islands
- New tests are made in Korea, which is a leader in testing and managing
COVID-19. Rapid tests to everyone that’s suspected.
- If positive, then don’t have to test further
- If negative, will run the longer test
- The new tests and protocols will make it easier for us to provide a way to allow people back into the islands
- USA has prohibited any medical equipment from leaving the country as it’s the highest number of cases in the world
Bringing people back:
- All our sacrifices will be in vein if we allow anyone with COVID-19 onto the islands. So, please have patience while we get the protocols sorted and acquire test kits.
- Once we have the rapid response kits and the protocols, we’ll be able to work out a way to bring people back.
- Lots of reports of people trying to come in both illegally and with the blessings of the authorities.
- A discussion on Utila about letting people onto the islands from La Ceiba.
- Governor is waiting to hear from the mayor
- Rapid response test kits important for this case.
- No word yet on when people will be able to return
- Anyone with a primary residency, not just citizens, will be covered once we start to repatriate people
- Difficult for Roatan to take people, there’s no orthopaedic doctor so broken bones can’t be taken in.
- Once people go to the mainland they have to stay there.
- Would need to put people in
- Port captain says people can’t dive in own boats.
- Broadcasting of “let’s go diving” is problematic.
- If you want to go diving, put a document together and present it to the port authority on Monday, Wednesday or Friday for their permission.
- Fishing has an exception for humanitarian reasons.
- Line permitted, spear is not. Please be careful of the species you target.
2 Boats near Palmeto:
- Fishing boats. Marine park came out and chatted with them.
- Please keep reporting when you see suspicious boats.
RECO meeting tomorrow
- You shouldn’t have sales taxes if you haven’t had sales
- President mentioned that income taxes will be delayed, waiting to hear details
Board of education:
- Meeting with them tomorrow
- Still regularly arriving from USA, La Ceiba and Port of Cortez
- Being inspected and sprayed down before delivering food
- Bigger concern is people being able to buy food, not getting it to the islands
- Utila: Lots of boats (three) to provide food, shouldn’t be a concern. Please
send photos to the governor is places are empty and we need help getting food
into the island.
- If there are other logistical problems, please let the governor know so they can help out.
Abbot Labs Test:
- Have been talking with them via Rotary
- Going to be difficult to get because of export controls from the USA
- Have excellent stocks. No concern there.
- Will be open for good Friday because of the crisis