Governor Silvestri 2020-05-05
Summary of Facebook Live Chat by Governor Silvestri at 2020-05-05 09:30 (starts at 02:30).
This is a transcript of the English transmission. There is also a Spanish transmission which I do not translate.
- Found another person smuggled into the islands.
- They are in custody and will be sent back to the mainland.
- Currently researching to find the people that brought them in.
- Will take away their boat license and take their boat
Recommendations for returning people to the bay islands:
- Requiring having the correct PPE and testing equipment/procedures
- Can’t bring people back until we have both of those
- Started at 06:00 Monday as a peaceful protest.
- Someone blocked the entrance to the mayors office, which caused a panic as people were stuck inside the building (which is 30 years old and not in great shape, it also only has a single entrance/exit)
- Police had to clear the area to let people out, they used their standard procedure which is to deploy tear gas.
- The governor met with protesters at 10:00 today
- Some charges pressed against protesters due to the building blockage.
- Looking to open the Bay Islands up this week.
- Lots of work by a lot of people to push for this.
- This will include specifications on how to safely open businesses.
Local business vs reintroduction:
- This is a key dilemma as we can safely do one or the other.
Opening up locally:
- There will be requirements for opening up locally
- Not yet sure if there will be
- Roatan mayor has asked for exceptions for large construction projects which will hire a lot of people. These have been approved.
Bringing body of a child who died on the mainland back:
- Will need to be cremated
- Difficult problem, governor asked for a private message
- Most people on the video supported opening local business as a priority
Stimulus for tourism companies:
- Will wait until official announcement, but there is news