Governor Silvestri 2020-05-08
This is a transcript of the English transmission. There is also a Spanish transmission which I do not translate.
- 33 negative tests, 2 pending
- 2 people who left for the mainland and snuck back have been arrested and are being tested
- No word yet on when it’ll get to the islands
Testing for those who think they may have had COVID-19 in December:
- Being organised, requires a blood test
- You can sign up for the tests via this form
Returning Bay Islanders:
- Commission has been setup to organise bringing people back
- Currently one in Roatan and one in Santos Guardiola, should have others
- Made up of community leaders who have been active in trying to get people back
- Government will play supporting role
- For anyone whose primary residence is the Bay Islands
US travel chat for May:
Travel from Utila to Roatan:
- This plane was not authorised to travel
Police and identification:
- If you aren’t a resident, show your passport and say “No soy residente”
Document priority for establishing day to go out:
- Citizen card
- Residency card
Including other islands in update:
- Governor will reach out to each islands mayors and get updates to include
- Had become focussed on Roatan as those mayors have been keeping him updated
- Still waiting on confirmation, expecting it soon and will do a special update
- Has already been done in some places for restaurants
Media people creating rumors:
- There are media reports of people with COVID-19 on the islands, but these are false.
- Governor asks that media use evidence when making claims rather than repeating hearsay.
- 15 convicted criminals have been moved off Roatan
- 20 more are being prepared, so there will be more space in the jailhouse
- Car involved in robberies around Sandy Bay was found
- These people are going to jail, no way to stop them coming back to the Bay Islands as they have constitutional rights.
Getting info to people without internet:
- Alliance with patronatos and other community leaders to get information out
Charging for services provided in emergency:
- Even though not officially open, companies can still charge for repairs and other services rendered.
- Reports of police misconduct. Need to have their names, the time and checkpoint location to be able to follow up effectively.
- Police have the authority to search vehicles
- Alcohol ban is at the mayors office level
- Nothing in place right now banning the sales of alcohol
- Police can only confiscate alcohol if you’re drinking it in public
Businesses permitted to be open:
- This hasn’t changed recently
- Hardware stores, banks, petrol stations, supermarkets, pharmacies.
- Food only to go.