Governor Silvestri 2020-06-24
Summary of Facebook Live Chat by Governor Silvestri at 2020-06-24 09:00 and the second part
Starts at 02:00, there is a glitch at 04:20 and then it continues in the second part at 3:00. The transmission is cut short due to a power outage, as was my work writing this summary up.
The Spanish transmission can be found here
COVID-19 Testing and Treatment
- 278 people tested from the Bay Islands
- 99 PCR confirmed cases
- Of the 168 tests run recently, only 28 came back with COVID-19
- These tests are being done based on both symptoms and contact tracing
- All in Roatan and Santos Guardiola
- No cases in Utila
- Guanaja has some positive quick tests, but these have not yet been confirmed via PCR
- 110 outstanding tests
- These will be sent to all the Bay Islands, not just kept on Roatan
- Tests are being sent to Guanaja and Utila once they have arrived in Roatan
- Any additional assistance that can be offered to any of the islands for test kits is welcomed
- The only way the governors team sees a lockdown being effective is if test results start to return 80-90% positive.
- They are hoping to keep the impact as localised as possible
Test results and antibodies:
- The PCR tests just show active infection, the are not an antibody test
- Don’t have statistics on this as tests are being saved to detect new cases
- After quarantine in the treatment center, people are sent home to continue quarantining at home for a total quarantine of 21 days.
How often has the governor been tested:
- 3 rapid tests
- Hasn’t done any PCR tests as they’re being saved for those who really need them
Travel and Immigration
Returning non-resident home owners:
- Fill in the forms for returning to the islands
- These are authorised by SINAGER, not the governor.
- No dates yet
- Many people are carrying masks and not putting them on, often simply asking nicely will get them to do so. Publicly shaming often works if asking nicely does not.
Community leader program:
- Pilot project in Roatan
- Aim is to teach people how COVID-19 spreads and how important biosecurity measures are.
- This should help those who do not have access to the internet get important information and learn about COVID-19
- March, April, May are the months where people are meant to be helped, but people are getting lights cut for failure to pay and this is getting lots of complaints
- This is being investigated by the municipality
- For any medical worker who wants to come to the Bay Islands and assist
- Bay Islands medical staff have been working non-stop for 100 days and really need the assistance.
- Hard work by them to get approved by central government
- This is unrelated to rumors of the lockdown
- Will impact anyone with breathing issues or allergies
- If you might be impacted, stay indoors for the next 3-4 days
Plan for restarting tourism:
- There is a plan that’s been developed. Waiting for approval from the central government and mayors office.
- Developed with the Bay Islands Tourism Bureau